Today we wanted to share some creative barcode designs from Irish artist Steve Simpson.
Simpsons work mostly focuses on customizing the traditional barcodes on products, specifically the UPC/EAN code type. While many of are familiar with customized QR codes, finding creative and inventive UPC/EAN code designs is a rarity. Here are some tips from Steve for creating custom UPC/EAN codes:
– Colors can be changed but requires good contrast for scanning readability.
– The number string is only there to help a human reader interpret the barcode; change the god damn font!
– Space should be left at both ends so the scanner can recognize the beginning and end of the code.
– For readability, there should be a healthy sized horizontal strip of uninterrupted code.
– Test it! Print it out and check it using a barcode reader app on your smart phone.
And here are some of Steve’s awesome designs: