- Used to encode a Global Trade Identification Numbers (GTIN) along with variable additional information defined by application identifiers (AI). Examples are price, weight or expiry date.
- Valid application identifiers (AI) are defined in the GS1 specification.
- Supports variable length data content.
- Barcode data is verified by an implicit checksum.
- Does not require quiet zones around the barcode.
- It has been standardised under ISO/IEC 24724.
- DataBar-14 is supported in the omnidirectional, truncated and stacked flavour.
- DataBar Expanded is supported in the normal and stacked flavour.
- DataBar Limited is supported which is also known as RSS Limited, Reduced Space Symbology Limited.
GS1 DATABAR Variations:
- GS1 DataBar Limited
- GS1 DataBar Expanded Stacked
- GS1 DataBar Expanded
- GS1 DataBar Stacked Omnidirectional
- GS1 DataBar Stacked
- GS1 DataBar Truncated
- GS1 DataBar Omnidirectional