- Used to encode Global Trade Identification Numbers (GTIN).
- Contains 8 (EAN-8) or 13 (EAN-13) numerical digits.
- Last digit serves as a mod10 checksum.
- Additional data can be stored in an EAN-2 or EAN-5 add-on code.
- It has been standardised under ISO/IEC 15420.
EAN Code Variations:
- ISSN Used to identify periodicals around the world
- ISBN Used to identify books around the world
- EAN-8 Used on products at the point of sale
- JAN-13 Used on products at the point of sale
- EAN-13 Used on products at the point of sale