This website and our products and services are not intended for children. We do not knowingly collect data relating to anyone under the age of 16 and if you are under 16, you are not permitted to use our products and services.
1. Who we are and what we do
Scandit comprises various group companies, including Scandit AG (Förrlibuckstrasse 181
If you wish to contact us or exercise your privacy rights, please use the following contact details:
Scandit Contact Details
Telephone: +41 44 586 4540
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
DPO Contact details
Attn: Data Protection Officer
163 City Road, London,
DPO Telephone: +44 20 3917 4158
Email address: email@example.com
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the applicable data protection supervisory authorities in the EU/EEA/Switzerland. You can find the list of the EU data protection authorities here. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach such authorities, so please contact us in the first instance.
2. The Data we Collect about you
We may collect and use your personal information to operate our website(s) and to deliver the products and services you have requested. We encourage Users of our free Scandit Apps not to scan any data which contains personal data. We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Data includes first name, maiden name, last name, username or similar identifier, company name, job title, industry sector and country of residence.
- Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Financial Data includes bank account and payment card details.
- Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data includes information about how you access and use our websites such as your internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our websites, the pages you have visited on our websites and the links you have followed on them.
- Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage Data includes information about how a User operates our Scandit Apps, such as a User’s internet protocol (IP) address, installation identifier, license key identifier, Scandit App key, Scandit App identifier, the product version User is running on the Scandit App or our other products, location coordinates, browser plug-in types and versions, the mobile device model, the mobile operating system and platform User is using and other technology on the devices used with our Scandit Apps. We may also collect Barcode Data (including product number, serial number or asset identifier, or any other information encoded in a barcode), pixel data (including sub-frames of camera images where barcode, text, photo ID, or other labels are located), and Scan Engine Results (including generic data capture information and barcode decoding-related scan engine data and related device status information). In the case of Usage Data (in particular any Barcode Data or Scan Engine Results) comprising personal data, we encourage Users not to scan such personal data so it is not transmitted to us.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing communications from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
- Employment Data includes your current and past employment experience, qualifications, skills, interests and any other information disclosed by you in relation to an application for a role within Scandit.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (such as details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
3. How your personal data is collected
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
Direct interactions. You may give us your name, email address and Contact Data in person, or by filling in forms on our website or in connection with our mobile applications or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email, social media or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- request our products or services;
- use our Scandit Apps;
- meet with one of our employees;
- participate in an event which we have organised;
- complete a form on our website requesting us to contact you;
- subscribe to our publications;
- request marketing to be sent to you;
- enter a competition, promotion or survey;
- submit an application for a role within Scandit; or
- make a complaint or give us some feedback.
Automated technologies through the use of our products and services. When Users use our products and/or services including Scandit Apps, certain Usage Data is transmitted to us depending on the product/service you use.
Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive personal data about you from various third parties as set out below:
- Technical Data or Usage Data from an application store where our mobile applications are published, Usage Data from third-party applications containing our product/services and analytics providers or search information providers.
- Employment, Identity and Contact Data from third party recruitment agencies.
4. How we will use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending third party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us as set out below.
We have set out in the table below, a description of the ways we may use your personal data, and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are where appropriate.
|Purpose/Activity||Type of data||Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest|
|To register you as a new or prospective customer or User||(a) Identity|
(c) Marketing and Communications
|(a) Performance of a contract with you|
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interest (for running our business and to provide our products and services)
|To process your order||(a) Identity|
(e) Marketing and Communications
|(a) Performance of a contract with you|
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to process your order and where applicable, recover debts due to us)
|To provide our products/services including our Scandit Apps||(a) Identity|
(c) Usage Data
|(a) Performance of a contract with you|
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interest (to provide, improve and develop our products/services and for debugging, statistical analysis, performance monitoring and/or license compliance)
|To manage our relationship with you which may include:|
(b) Asking you to leave a review or take a survey
(d) Marketing and Communications
|(a) Performance of a contract with you|
(b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
(c) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep our records updated and to study how Users or customers use our products/services)
|To administer and protect our business, products and services and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data)||(a) Identity|
|(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganisation or group restructuring exercise)|
(b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
|To deliver relevant website content and measure or understand the effectiveness of such content||(a) Identity|
(e) Marketing and Communications
|Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how Users or customers use our products/services, to develop them, to grow our business and to inform our marketing strategy)|
|To use data analytics to improve our website and products/services and for marketing and User or customer relationships and experiences||(a) Technical|
|(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to define types of Users or customers for our products and services, to keep our website updated and relevant, to develop our business and to inform our marketing strategy and for debugging, statistical analysis, and performance monitoring).|
|To make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest to you||(a) Identity|
|Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our products/services and grow our business)|
Note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your personal data where more than one ground has been set out in the table above.
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you do not provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with our products or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you of this at the time.
You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or purchased products or services from us or if you provided us with your details when you registered with us and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing. We may also inform you of other products or services available from us. We may also contact you via surveys to conduct research about your opinion of our websites, mobile applications and other current or future products.
We do not sell, rent or lease or provide in any other way our customer lists to third parties.
Opt-Out & Unsubscribe
You can ask us or our third-party partners to stop sending you marketing messages, operational emails or other information by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time as follows:
- Unsubscribe from all marketing communications using this link.
- To stop receiving operational emails you can deactivate your account by contacting us.
- By contacting us as set out in section 1 above.
Third-party links and third-party services
5. How we may share your personal data
We may have to share your personal data with the parties set out below for the purposes set out in the table in paragraph 4 above:
- Other companies in the Scandit Group.
- Our third-party service providers who perform functions on our behalf in connection with the operation of our business such as IT service providers and system administrators, third parties who host and manage data or provide programming or technical support, deliver our products and services, conduct reference checks on candidates on our behalf, etc.
- Credit card payments are directly processed by our third-party payment platforms.
- Professional advisers including lawyers, bankers, auditors and who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services.
- Our third-party analytics partners to analyse website traffic and understand User or customer needs and trends or our third-party marketing service providers to help us to communicate with Users or customers.
- Third parties if we are required to do so by law, or if we believe that such action is necessary to: (a) fulfil a government, or regulatory authority request; (b) conform with the requirements of the law or legal process; (c) protect or defend our legal rights or property, our websites, Users or customers.
We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
Where we are a data processor, we may also use sub-processors. A sub-processor is a third-party data processor that processes or may access or process your data (which may include your personal data) or your customers’ data, where we are acting as a data processor. Our current list of sub-processors is available here. We have written agreements with each sub-processor to ensure their processing practices are compliant with applicable data protection laws. We may update our list of sub-processors to appoint or remove sub-processors from time-to-time and we will notify you when we do so. If you do not object to any new sub-processor within 30 days of our notice, you are deemed to accept the new sub-processor appointment. If you have any questions or need more information on this topic, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. International transfers
We may share your personal data within the Scandit Group, which may be based on our legitimate interest to pursue internal administrative, organisational, or technological purposes. This will involve transferring your data outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
Our third-party service providers may be based outside the EEA and when they are their processing of your personal data will involve a transfer of data outside the EEA.
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the EEA, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission. For further details, see European Commission: Adequacy of the protection of personal data in non-EU countries.
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe. For further details, see European Commission: Model contracts for the transfer of personal data to third countries.
- Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US. For further details, see European Commission: EU-US Privacy Shield.
7. Security of Your Personal Data
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.
8. Data retention
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which we collected it, including to comply with our legal, accounting or reporting requirements. We may keep business contacts and information on your account required to access our Scandit Apps indefinitely, until you inform us you no longer want us to be in touch or we have determined that your information should be deleted or rectified because it is no longer relevant.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
You can request details of retention periods for different aspects of your personal data by contacting us at email@example.com or as set out above.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for analytical, research and statistical purposes and to help us to improve our products and services, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
9. Your Legal Rights
You have the right to:
Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check various circumstances of the processing and that we are lawfully processing it.
Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons such as our legitimate interests which will be notified to you, if applicable, after you have made your request.
Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or as set out above.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Time limit to respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
Effective as of 11 September, 2019