Colruyt, Belgium’s largest retail conglomerate, is an innovator in deploying store operations technology across their supermarkets. As part of their drive to optimize retail operations, they replaced shared, dedicated scanning devices with high-performance, Scandit-powered smartphones for over 16,000 store staff. The move to mobile and scanning-enabled apps saved costs, streamlined store operations, and improved employee and customer experiences.
We’re now well on the way to completely transforming ourselves through digitalization. We’ve achieved operational cost savings, we have happier employees and we’ve saved a lot of valuable time.Christophe Dehandschutter, National Sales Director Belux at Colruyt Group
A family-owned retail corporation, the Colruyt Group manages Belgium’s largest supermarket and several retail subsidiaries. The group is investing 17 million euros in its digital transformation program to:
- Streamline store processes and enhance efficiencies.
- Improve co-worker and customer communications.
- Drive innovation.
Replace dedicated scanners: optimize operational efficiencies to deliver better customer experiences
An industry innovator in retail technology adoption, Colruyt is on a mission to improve operational efficiencies that underpin outstanding customer experiences. As part of this drive, Colruyt wanted to invest in its digital future by creating ‘informed and connected store associates,’ and evolve to a future-ready technology platform.
They decided to replace the shared dedicated scanning devices with personal consumer devices that would be easy for store staff to operate and always stay connected. The company explored smartphones with fast, camera-based scanning that supported processes used in existing dedicated devices.
To support their plan of providing employees with a smartphone-based data capture solution, Colruyt wanted a partner that:
- Offered superior software-based barcode scanning.
- Shared their vision for a platform to support future innovation.
- Was easy to integrate with its suite of apps, supported diverse frameworks and mobile architectures.
Future-ready, high performance smartphone scanning
Colruyt refreshed their in-store technology estate, replacing expensive dedicated scanners used for store operations with the ‘digital store assistant’ smartphone app. The company partnered with Samsung to provide employees with a company owned business only (COBO) Galaxy XCover 4S smartphone, powered by Scandit’s barcode scanning solution.
In a pilot conducted with 700 Scandit-powered smartphones, Colruyt found that Scandit’s barcode scanner was fast, cost-effective and easy to integrate into their suite of apps, offering high-performance scanning of 1D and 2D (QR codes) barcodes.
Transformation began in a phased manner, starting with Colruyt Lowest Prices stores, their largest and renowned supermarket chain. 16,000 Colruyt store staff use Scandit-powered smartphones across numerous store operations.
Colruyt selected Scandit, as the solution surpassed competitors on various parameters including:
- One device, multiple store tasks: Staff use Scandit-powered smartphones for numerous store operations. Unlike the dedicated devices they shared in the past, store staff now complete multiple store activities including inventory management, product information look-up, stock checks, returns handling, reordering, and more with a quick scan on their COBO smartphones.
- Innovation: Future-ready innovation platform with enterprise-grade barcode scanning, plus additional capabilities based on computer vision technology.
- High-performance: Unparalleled scanning accuracy even in low light, glare, and on damaged barcodes via durable Samsung smartphones. Automatic software updates enabled by out-of-the-box setup facility.
- Ubiquity: Scandit’s extensive retail experience in helping large grocery enterprises transform and optimize operations in store.
Transformed user experiences, increased productivity
Employee satisfaction with performing operational tasks on smartphones enabled by Scandit has skyrocketed. Each employee uses the COBO smartphone to complete a range of operational tasks, and no longer need to share devices.
Store staff on the shop floor can now also respond to customer queries in real-time, by retrieving product information or checking stock with a simple scan on their individual smartphone. The customer’s in-store experience has also transformed, as feedback on product queries is fast and accurate. Moreover, as the ‘digital store assistant’ is mapped to the needs of Colruyt’s store staff, employees can multi-task and perform numerous store activities with a quick scan whilst staying connected.
- Scans per month
- Accurate and fast scanning streamlines store operations
- Scanning-enabled smartphone devices
Going forward, Colruyt plans to improve cross store collaboration and streamline processes between branches and the head office, by equipping employees at all its retail businesses with smartphones. The company is keen to realize their digital transformation goals by further optimizing store operations with the enhanced functionality offered by Scandit’s barcode scanning solution.